Thursday, February 16, 2006

Day 1 : Good Morning Sir ! – Part 1 (14/2/2006 – Valentine’s Day)

The system has changed. Nowadays, applying for the temporary teacher post requires one to attend an interview in the Pejabat Pendidikan Daerah ( District Education Office ? ) . I was called for the interview on the 13/2/2006 ( Day 0 ) and gladly accepted the offer. When I arrived at PPD ( that’s what teachers call it anyway ) at 7.56 am, there was already an Indian girl waiting. I assumed she was just another person waiting to finish her urusan ( business ) with PPD but later, I found out that she was called for the interview too , like me.
But anyway, the interview was not easy. I was interviewed by some big shot with the title of Ketua Pendidikan Bahagian Bahasa . Contrary from what I believe, his English was superb, not to mention he spoke in some deep accent. Here are the questions : 1) Do you have any nasty (he pronounced it as nas – tea and not nest tea)
experience with any of your teachers?
2) Do you think what your teacher did was right?
3) Humiliation is a very subjective thing, can you tell me what is the limit to humiliation in the caning process?
4) Yes, what I meant was , at which level do you think it is not right to cane a student anymore? Standard 2 ? Form 4?
5) So you say Form 4. Does that mean its alright to cane a Form 3 student?
6) Do you take tuition? Name them and why?
7) So now lets talk about the emergence of tuition centers and tutors. Why do you think this phenomenon occur?
8) Does that mean that government school is not effective anymore?
9) Why do you think it is not effective anymore?
10) Have you heard of the voluntary fire brigade service?
11) Why do you think this service ? Is it necessary?
12) Let say there is this imaginary area… Supposedly, the government build a fire station to cover this area and the fire station fail to cover everything. Does that mean it is ineffective?
13) Is it not the same as government school? Schools fail to cater to every student’s needs thus tuition centers are built . Does that mean government schools are ineffective?

I think this interview is hard because one has to take into consideration who is asking this question. He is the big shot who is incharged of PPD. Remember?
After the interview, I was called to see another big shot who is incharged of teacher allocation process. He told me I passed the interview and asked me to hand me a letter signed by him.
“Cut your hair,” the big shot fellow said to me… I must admit, my hair was long. Imagine keeping your hair ‘uncut’ for 3 full months. Luckily no one was beside him or else I would be quite embarrassed.
The he continued , “You start work today, 14/2 until 14/4. 2 months is enough for you.”
When I am on my way to the car, I read the letter. It is a letter for the school’s principal. Which school again? What !! SMK BBR?? And what subject? ENGLISH !!! Dear God, why did I ever think of getting this job?

TB continue

2 Comments:

Blogger Contented Mum said...

So happy to see you blogging. Your good morning sir is very interesting. Keep it up. The interview questions are not easy leh, quite thought provoking though!
So you are going to be sir for 2 months huh! When get the salary oledi must belanja huh?!
Ya, waiting for part 2, 3....to come. Yeah, one more good blog to read!!

5:45 PM  
Blogger Contented Mum said...

BTW, I just tagged you.

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home