Monday, February 20, 2006

Day 1 : Good Morning Sir ! – Part 1 (14/2/2006 – Valentine’s Day)

I must admit. I do not know this school well other than where it is situated =) . I drove there in my old Proton Wira. I made my way to the proncipal’s office as soon as I reached the school’s compound. The principal greeted me with a hand shake. ( A handshake with the principal? I must have grown up !! ) He told me the school is in need of a Form 1 English teacher as the school has been make do without a Form 1 English teacher for the past 2 months…
After some hoola – boola with the registration and administration process, I am assigned to an empty table in the class room and a timetable. I had a total of 23 periods of teaching which is ok I guess… Well, I guess I am lucky after all, today is exam day !! So is tomorrow… I am not insane u know, I dislike exam as much as any student would be but behold I am now an English teacher and I don’t have to start teaching yet!

Day 2 : Good Morning Sir ! – Part 2 (15/2/2006)

I will not be late , I said to myself. The first class starts at 7.40 am but the school is only a 5 minutes drive my house so I took the easy way out. Woke up at 7.00 and drove to school at 7.25 am. Boy, was I unlucky.. the school has a morning assembly system whereby every morning the students have to gather and listen to the day’s announcements. And the assembly starts at 7.30 am. Ha ha… I am late the first day of my Job…
But anyway , today is still exam day so I still have to look after the class. Looking after classes during exam is no fun at all. Not to mention its boring too. The hardest part is that one has to close an eye for students to cheat. Not that I want them to but I have no choice… you would understand wouldn’t you. =)
One particular incident worth mentioning is the cancellation of the Civic exam papers. It was the third paper that day to be tested but due to the unavailability of the papers, it is cancelled… Wow , imagine no exam just because of this reason. I am really afraid if the students will take it tooooo well and starts making noice during my class. This is because I have yet to prepared any lesson for them thinking everything has gone according to plan. To my surprise the students are not happy but they are not sad either when I broke the news to them. It seems like they are just… just? Anyways the paper after Civic was Arts… I had a tough time managing the class because Arts as we well know, is a very subjective subject . Students were gathering in groups to share colour pencils and water colours… WATER COLOURS ???!! Crap…. The floors are wet with water colours… well, what I did was I take unwanted newspaper and asked the students to soak the waters away. Thankfully it was done effectively.



Day 3 : Good Morning Sir ! – Part 3 (16/2/2006)

My first day teaching was not good at all… It is not because I did not prepare. I did prepare, in fact so much that it took the whole night of yesterday. The main problem with me is that I am a perfectionist. Any job given to me must be done is the best way possible.
Well, I can explain my problem better using the Theory of Normal Distribution. In this theory, it is stated that the level of intelligence is distributed among humans in the range that there will be people who are extremely clever ( Einstein ) and also people who are extremely ….mentally retarded? Anyways, these two groups of extremes are rare in nature and their numbers are lesser and lesser by the increase of the magnitude of intelligence.
In any class for an instance, there are students who are extremely good and students who are extremely bad. Well , in my case , I am unlucky enough to get all the ‘not so good’ classes. I think it is a form of bullying by the school =( .
When I teach, I actually want all of my students to listen and understand me fully. ( Fully here means they have no more doubt in that particular topic ) . The world is not perfect. Not only have I failed to make all the students understand what I taught, I did not get most of the students attention. The first 20 minutes was good. But after that, I am sweating all over, just hoping and wishing the students will give me chance by keeping quiet.
Luckily, they were quiet but I am beginning to wonder, will they continue to be quiet for the next 2 months? This thought kept me worried and occupied throughout the day.

Day 4 : Good Morning Sir ! – Part 4 (17/2/2006)

Its Friday !!!!! And i am thankful to God because he gave me strength to carry on even though I was extremely not motivated by the students yesterday. Enough said! Today’s class is very very simple…. I only have two periods of English classes , then , I am FREE !!
Weird isn’t it? I have to spend like 3 hours in the staff room doing nothing… Ha ha… guess its just the life of a teacher…
Today’s classes were oknia . I discussed their test papers today. Many students were not paying attention to me , but I am starting to let it go… Because of yesterday’s incident, I realized that even the best teacher in the world will not be able to get anything through to a student if that student does not want to take the initiative to learn. So, why bother?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home